From the hugely popular blog, a miscellany of hilarious and peculiar bookshop moments:
‘Can books conduct electricity?’
‘My children are just climbing your bookshelves: that’s ok… isn’t it?’
A John Cleese Twitter question [‘What is your pet peeve?’], first sparked the ‘Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops’ blog, which grew over three years into one bookseller’s collection of ridiculous conversations on the shop floor.
From ‘Did Beatrix Potter ever write a book about dinosaurs?’ to the hunt for a paperback which could forecast the next year’s weather; and from ‘I’ve forgotten my glasses, please read me the first chapter’ to’Excuse me… is this book edible?’
This full-length collection illustrated by the Brothers McLeod also includes top ‘Weird Things’ from bookshops around the world.
Why should you read this?
Truth be told, this is not an actual book. It’s a recollection of different conversations that customers have said to booksellers all over the world. Nevertheless, this book is a quick and entertaining read that will have you laughing until you cry.
WOMAN: Hi, where are your copies of Breaking Dawn? I can’t see any on the shelf.
BOOKSELLER: Sorry, I think we’ve sold out of theTwilight books; we’re waiting on more.
BOOKSELLER: We should have some more in tomorrow
WOMAN: But I need a copy now, I finished the third one last night.
BOOKSELLER: I’m sorry, I can’t help you.
WOMAN: No, you don’t understand, I’ve taken the whole day off work to read it.
WOMAN: I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS! NOW!
WOMAN: Can you call the wholesaler and see if they can deliver this afternoon?
BOOKSELLER: They only-
WOMAN: And then I can wait here for them.
BOOKSELLER: I’m sorry, they only deliver in the morning.
WOMAN: BUT WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO NOW?
BOOKSELLER: … we have many other books.
WOMAN (sniffs): Do any of those have Robert Pattinson in them?
Latest posts by Marianne @ Boricuan Bookworms (see all)
- There’s Someone Inside Your House by Stephanie Perkins: Promised a Spark but Delivered a Fizzle - September 15, 2017
- The First Rule of Punk by Celia C. Pérez [Review] – What Does It Mean to Be Yourself? + Meet Malú! - August 23, 2017
- Permanent Ink by Avon Gale and Piper Vaughn [Release Day] Review + Blitz! - August 7, 2017
- The Queen of Dauphine Street by Thea de Salle [Review]: What Are You Waiting for to Pick Up this Series? - August 4, 2017
- It’s August! Check Out the Reading Challenges We’re Joining! - August 2, 2017