Ever since following more accounts on Twitter that advocate for diversity in books, I’ve seen some people complain that diverse titles are difficult to get a hold of, or too expensive (since most of them are self published). I really think it’s important to read diversely, so over the past couple of weeks I’ve been compiling a list of different diverse kindle titles that are super affordable.
Disclaimer: I haven’t read most of these, but the ones I haven’t read have been recommendations from bloggers I trust. Also, the books listed here are that price of the time of my posting this, their prices are obviously subject to change.
- Monstress by Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda: $5.99 USD
What makes it diverse: This comic is written by women of color, and set in “set in an alternate matriarchal 1900’s Asia”. It’s so dark and stunning! I definitely recommend.
- Unicorn Tracks by Julia Ember: $5.38 *
A female/female romance plus mythological creatures? YES
- Love Beyond Body, Space, and Time: An LGBT and two-spirit sci-fi anthology by Hope Nicholson: $5.00
An anthology written by different Indigenous authors. I really really really want to pick this one up soon!
- Trade Me by Courtney Milan : $ 4.99
Trade Me, is a NA featuring Tina Cheng, who is offered to trade lives with Blake Reynolds, a cocky billionaire. It’s all kinds of sexy and swoony. Hold Me, its companion novel, is also available for the same price. In Hold Me, the protagonist is a Latina trans woman who starts to fall for a biracial, bisexual hero. There’s a lot of flirting and romance and I can’t wait to read it!
- Style by Chelsea Cameron: $ 4.99
Style takes the “popular boy falls for nerdy girl while doing a school project” trope but making it a female/female romance! It’s super cute and super sweet!
Second Kiss by Chelsea Cameron is also f/f and very affordable! *
- Wait for It by Mariana Zapata: $ 4.99 *
- Strong Signal by Megan Erickson and Santino Hassell: $4.99
A M/M romance with bisexual rep.
- Junior Hero Blues by J.K. Pendragon: $4.99
A latinx gay superhero…. I NEED THIS
- Serpentine by Cindy Pon: $4.61
This story is written by a WoC and it’s “Inspired by the rich history of Chinese mythology”. SIGN ME UP.
Its sequel, Sacrifice is also $4.61.
- 3 by Hannah Moskowitz: $3.99*
The author described it as “polyamorous YA” and basically that’s all you need to know.
- If the Dress Fits by Carla de Guzman: $3.99
This book features a plus sized pinoy woman in a super adorable romance! Check out my review here.
- A Taste of Honey by Kai Ashante Wilson: $2.99
A fantasy that features an interracial m/m romance. It’s a novella!
- Fire Boy by Sami Shah: $2.99
Book 1 in a Duology, it’s an urban fantasy set in modern-day Pakistan!
- Binti by Nnedi Okorafor: $2.99
I’ve heard amazing things about this short novella, and isn’t the cover gorgeous?
- Superior by Jessica Lack: $1.99
From the summary: A superhero’s intern falls in love with a supervillain’s apprentice in this star-crossed LGBT YA story from The Book Smugglers.
- Plain Vanilla by Ines-Bautista Yao: $0.99*
Another filipino ya contemporary I want to read. Looks so cute!
Titles marked with a * indicate that they’re also available for borrow from Kindle Unlimited or the Kindle Owner’s Lending Library.
Hey everyone, I’d like to say something real quick. I sincerely apologize to anyone who may have been hurt by this post. There is a lot of privilege in being able to spend up to $6 (USD) in books, and at the time that I wrote it I wasn’t aware. I promise to be more conscious in any forthcoming posts, and again, I sincerely apologize.
These are just a fraction of the tons of affordable diverse Kindle books available. If you want to see more books, I’m making a list on Amazon where you can check them out! Here’s the list: http://a.co/3ioYuS4.
You can comment below with more affordable and DIVERSE Kindle titles so I can keep adding!
Latest posts by Marianne @ Boricuan Bookworms (see all)
- LOVE, AND YOU by Gretchen Gomez & HUMMINGBIRD by Sophia Elaine Hanson: Poetry Books to Add to Your TBR! - May 17, 2017
- The Love Interest by Cale Dietrich: Blog Tour Review & Giveaway! - May 12, 2017
- PSA: Diverse Books Can Be Problematic - May 9, 2017
- #AsianLitBingo: My TBR! - May 6, 2017
- How to Make a Wish by Ashley Herring Blake [Blog Tour Review]: A Book Close to My Heart - May 1, 2017