Genres: Fairy Tales & Folklore, Fiction, LGBTQIAP+, Retelling, Romance
Published by Less Than Three Press on July 26th 2017
Source: Netgalley, Provided by Publisher
The little mermaid has no idea that as she makes her way on land, she's being watched over by the sister of the very witch with whom she made her bargain. She has no idea that the witch's sister is falling in love with her.
When the prince decides to marry another woman, the little mermaid's secret helper offers her a chance to live. But the price may be too high…
I wanted to love this a lot more than I actually did. It started out strong but the story got a bit mixed up in the middle and it was all around difficult for me to feel attached to any of the characters. I did enjoy that it was a retelling of the Little Mermaid with an f/f pairing and the dark side of the story as its focal point.
Of course, its a novelette so I couldn’t have asked for more but I still wanted to know more; especially the backstory behind the sea witch and her sister. I felt like there was a lot missing that we didn’t get to explore which is a bummer.
There is also loads of triggering content such as the lack of consent and implied sexual assault and rape.
I did enjoy the ending though, even if it was bit confusing.
Latest posts by Camila Rodriguez (see all)
- Spinning by Tillie Walden: ARC Review! - September 10, 2017
- The Girl with the Red Balloon by Katherine Locke Review: A New Favorite Series! - September 1, 2017
- Walking on Knives by Maya Chabbra: Mini ARC Review! - August 25, 2017
- Illegal Contact by Santino Hassell [Review]: Come and Join the Gavin Brawley Fan Club! - August 18, 2017
- SMUT 101 w/ Cam - August 5, 2017