When I say long book series, I mean series with 10+ books in them. I cannot tell you how many series I’ve left unfinished just because sequels keep being released. I just keep hoping that they’ll stop releasing books so I can
maybe finally start the series.
Here are a few series that I’ve either put on hold, or decided to not read:
- The Pretty Little Liars series by Sara Shepard
I started this series about 2 years ago before I even started watching the series. I was really into this, until I heard that there was a plan to make this a 14-book long series. 14 books!
I’m not even sure if I’m going to keep this series up, I’m currently stuck at book 5….
- The House of Night series by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast
I used to love this series when I was about 12. I even at one point created social media accounts with some reference to the series (obsessed, I know). But then, I was getting annoyed by the main character’s actions; I was getting annoyed at the fact that the books were so short when it could have just continued in the same book. I have books 1-3 on my bookshelf, book 4 on my e-reader, and I’ve borrowed all the books since then. I’ve been stuck on book 7 for over a year, and with the myriad of short novellas, I’m not even sure if I’m going to finish this series. Apparently, the last book comes out next year, for a whopping total of 18 books in the series.
- The Princess Diaries series by Meg Cabot
There are 10 books in this series, without mentioning the novellas and the “compilations” of the Princess stories. That makes the total about 17 books. I’m stuck at book 4 right now, but with the ridiculously low rating I gave that one, I may put off this series for a while…
- The Morganville Vampires series by Rachel Caine
I’ve had the first book of the series sitting on my bookshelf for ages now… I mean this series has 15 books. Do I have the time to read all of them? I’ve heard it’s a great series, so maybe once I finish my ARC queue, I’ll pick it up….
Other than these series, there’s also:
- The Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris: I love True Blood, and I’d love to read the original story, but… it’s about 15 books long… Argghhh.
- The 39 Clues series by Various Authors: This series is so fun! I’ve only read the first story, but I loved it because it was a nice break from all my “serious” books. This series has 11 books, plus 2 companion novels. This doesn’t sound so bad, but… this has not one, not two, but four spin-off series! FOUR! How am I supposed to read all of these?
There are many more series that I could mention, but I think that’s enough for now.
So, I want to know your opinions on this. Do you enjoy long series? Or do they uninterest you in the books, like it’s happened to me ?
Leave me your thoughts in the comments below! 🙂