I Have a Horrible Bookish Habit!

I dog-ear pages. I can’t help it! I know this is a big no-no in the book lover’s world, but I love dog-earing pages of my books.

The reason I dog-ear my books is because there are pages where they invoked some kind of emotion in me and I absolutely HAD to remember it. Whenever I’m bored I just pick a random book from my bookshelf, and open it to a page I had dog-eared. I love reading the page and wondering why I marked it in the first place!

There are some books that I don’t mark at all because I’m too busy flying through it that I can’t be bothered by stopping, lol.

Here are some examples of books I’ve dog-eared into submission:

collage_20140811185309950That is my very old, very used copy ofΒ StayΒ by Deb Caletti. I loved the way it was written, and I dog-eared this book so much! Every once in a while I pick the book up and read the pages I dog-eared before. Look at all those foldings! I think it looks wonderful πŸ™‚

collage_20140811185544136

Do you see that special little fold right there? This means I REALLY loved that quote.Β Shatter MeΒ with it’s extremely pretty purple prose really captivated me and really made me want to bookmark EVERYTHING.

Now, there are times that I don’t actually fold the pages. I sometimes use sticky notes to express my love for a book.

2014-08-11 06.22.12 1I use different colors to express different things. For example, theΒ blueΒ sticky is something I didn’t particularly like. TheΒ pink ones mean I liked something that happened, or a quote I liked. TheΒ yellowΒ one is a character description I enjoyed reading.

So, now you’ve learned something new about me. Do you have a bookish confession to make? Feel free to let me know! I don’t judge πŸ˜‰

35 thoughts on “I Have a Horrible Bookish Habit!

1. Jeann @ Happy Indulgence says:

I AM EXACTLY THE SAME. THIS IS WHY WE ARE BOOKISH TWINS. I dog ear my quotes for when I review them, I can pick them out easily, but if I’m well behaved or my sticky notes are available, I tab the quotes that I liked too! Although, I like to take out my dog ears after I’m finished with them so I can pretend I never did that to my precious.

2. Dre @ Sporadic Reads says:

WHY?! NO?! Haha! I do this on textbooks, but not on my precious books. But it can’t be helped, sometimes, when a page accidentally folds, or the cover of the book gets tea stain, or the spine..oh the spine! But it’s inevitable. It happens. πŸ˜‰

3. Paula M. @ Her Book Thoughts! says:

OH NO YOU DIDN’T!!! =))) I do this sometimes though 😦 I have bookmarks, but when I’m reading already, I become a lazy sloth and I don’t wanna move ever again.

Hmm, okay, because you wont judge. Sometimes when I don’t like the book, I rip the pages and just paint at them. I know, it’s horrifying! But now, I learn my lesson. I’ll just give it away to someone I think will enjoy it more than me. πŸ˜›

Awesome post, Marianne!

4. Sarah @ Smitten over Books says:

Aww, I just died a little, Marianne. I used to dog-ear books too, but those were from the library and they’re already battered anyway. Haha. I can’t imagine doing it now, though. THE PRECIOUS BOOKS. *hands you more sticky notes* If I would have to confess anything, it would be that I use anything I can get my hands on as a bookmark, even chocolate or candy wrappers. Very sticky yet effective. Sometimes I use wires or combs. XD

• Marianne @ Boricuan Bookworms says:

*hides in shame* Don’t judge me! It’s an unconcious decision really. I treat the books with loooove, though. And the dog ears are not ridiculous like others I’ve seen. I actually want to read the book in the future. LOL. I have your same issue. Everything’s a bookmark for me! xD

5. Mel@thedailyprophecy says:

THE HORROR. Haha. I could never do such a thing to my books. I like to put sticky notes to remember a page, but after a while I take them out because I can’t handle it, haha. I write the quotes I absolutely love down in my special notebook πŸ™‚

• Marianne @ Boricuan Bookworms says:

You see, I can’t do that. It’s not that I’m lazy, but I can’t be bothered to stop reading to copy down a quote. So I mark the page so I don’t have to interrupt my reading progress πŸ˜‰ But it takes discipline to do what you do, so keep doing it! πŸ™‚

6. Lola @ Hit or Miss Books says:

Oh boy ahahah! I never actually do that because I like keeping every one of my books ”clean” and like new. BUT, I do like post its (is that the word?) and I use them on my books whenever I read something that I’d like to re-read late. πŸ˜€

7. Miranda @ Tempest Books says:

I AM CRINGING SO HARD RIGHT NOW!!! πŸ˜›

Seriously, you can do whatever you want to your books haha, but this is totally not for me. I really like my books to stay in good condition with no marks or blemishes, so this just isn’t an option for me. But I really do like marking down passages that I like, so I use the post-it note solution! I don’t have a color-coordinated system, though. Although now I’m thinking that I should! I’m actually really dorky and I just pick the color post-it note that matches the cover of the book and use one color throughout.

8. Hazel @ Stay Bookish says:

I do this too! I know people hate it because it feels like ruining a pristine copy of a book but it’s my copy after all and I don’t want to forget the pages that felt important, you know? I alternate between dog-earing, tabbing and simply writing on my books haha!

9. Lina says:

I MUST CONFESS. I am a persistent dog-earer. I can’t say I do it for quotes, but just as my bookmark. It’s just so much faster and will never fall out! I’m not even all that ashamed about it, haha. But I don’t normally go around sharing it either though…

10. Ima Vee says:

I’m more of a highlighter. I highlight the phrases or sentences I love. Oh no! Now that I think of it, it’s more horrible than dog-earing the pages. I should shift to post-its.

11. Chiara @ Books for a Delicate Eternity says:

*runs screaming in the opposite direction*

I kid, I kid. I think anyone and everyone is fine to do whatever they want to books, unless they are my books – in which case if any harm comes to them, I will hunt down the culprit TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH. I am protective of my babies like that ;D

That’s not to say that I haven’t had the desire to dog-ear pages. For example, when I read IGNITE by Erica Crouch, I was highlighting the crap out of my Kobo edition and then when I marked it as ‘read’ it deleted all my highlights. WHAT? WHY? JUST BECAUSE I AM FINISHED DOES NOT MEAN THAT THOSE HIGHLIGHTS COULD BE DELETED.

So now, when I re-read that book, I will want to find and keep those quotes again, but it will be a physical copy (because I had to own that baby in paperback). But what will I doooo? I cannot dogear, or highlight or underline *wails*

Maybe I can buy a copy to highlight and do whatever I want with. i do actually love the look of well worn books. I think I just solved my IGNITE dilemma ;D

12. Wendy Darling says:

OMG OMG OMG. I cannot unsee what I have just seen. *weeps bitterly*

MARIANNE. I clicked on the link knowing I would regret it, but I still had to scroll very fast past the photos. I’m a post-it note girl myself.