How Do You Feel About Steampunk?

Let’s Discuss!

I personally have a love-hate relationship with steampunk.

On one hand, I absolutely love the cleverness of it. I love that in a time where technology was basically nonexistent, some brilliant minds said “nonsense! Who needs electricity?!” and created some remarkable things out of clockwork and metal.

Steampunk is absolutely amazing. I think it takes a special amount of skill for an author to create a believable and functional steampunk

On the other hand. Steampunk confuses me so much! Sometimes I’m reading a book and they’re explaining to me what it’s about but I have to read the description a couple of times before I even get a feel of what it is. Sometimes I just give up and hope that later on it’ll be “dumbed down” for simple folks like me to understand. Sometimes the explanations are so technological and CONFUSING that I never understand how the machine/contraption/invention even works!

There are some books that do steampunk really well. Even for people like me that sometimes don’t really click with it.

The Falconer by Elizabeth May: What I loved about the steampunk in this book, is that it was simple. The way they were described were easy to comprehend, and they were still so clever! (You can see my review of the book, here

Something Strange and Deadly series by Susan Dennard: The steampunk in this series was much more complicated and present in this book than I’m used to, and yet it was so easy to follow! I think this was partly do to the protagonist’s “ignorance” of steampunk, though. (See my review of the first book in the series, here.)

Etiquette and Espionage by Gail Carriger: I liked the steampunk here mainly because it basically built the whole story. It was all almost completely steampunk, and easy to comprehend due to the main character’s love of machinery.

What about you? Have you read any steampunk that might appeal to people like me?

18 thoughts on “How Do You Feel About Steampunk?

1. Hazel Ureta says:

My relationship with steampunk is unfortunately non-existent. It’s only now that I’m realising I’ve never actually picked up a book from the subgenre before. I wish I had some recs for you but it looks like I need to brush up on my reading when it comes to steampunk. I definitely have to check out the books you’ve noted here. 😀

2. Aila says:

Omg, I love the concept of steampunk! The only thing is: will the book get it right or not? Sometimes the world may be just unrealistic, or not explained at all! I really like the descriptive ones that draw the readers in and actually have parallels to history. Incorporating fiction and fact is always magical to me. 🙂 Great discussion!

– Aila @ Happy Indulgence

3. Joy @ Thoughts By J says:

I think the only steampunk I’ve read is Cassandra Clare’s spinoff of the City of Bones series. I quite enjoyed the steampunk elements in that first book, but I never managed to continue with the series. I do think the genre is pretty cool though, and I really want to check out Susan Dennard’s books! Thanks for putting these on my radar 😀

4. Ebony Ellis says:

Unfortunately I haven’t read any of the above, but they’re all on my TBR! I even own Something Strange & Deadly…there’s a start haha. I absolutely love the idea of steampunk, but I don’t think I’ve read any books that fall into the genre…perhaps The Infernal Devices trilogy does?

5. Ebony Ellis says:

6. Elizabeth Rodriguez says:

I happen to love steampunk! I love how thinks that are now common are imagined in a new way. There are many good books in the genre. Some of my favorites are The Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger, Ticker by Lisa Matchev and the Leviathan series by Scott Westerfeld. Great post!

7. The Diva Booknerd says:

I LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURVE steampunk! One of my favourites has been the Masque of the Red death duology. I love the opulence and lush surroundings of an intricate world built on steam. There’s something so incredibly magical about it It’s been so long since I’ve read a YA steampunk series, thank you so, so much for the recommendations, off to check them out ❤

8. Chiara @ Delicate Eternity says:

I absolutely love steampunk! I cosplay as steampunk to every convention I go to, haha 😀

The Falconer is actually one of my favourite books, so I’m so happy you liked it! And I had NO IDEA that those other series were steampunk! Why has no one ever told me this before? Now I need to go and read them ASAP.

I’ve read a few indie steampunk novels and REALLY liked them: Godspeed by February Grace and Steel Lily by Megan Curd. The steampunk aspects are really easy to understand, and the stories are really great, too! If you’re looking for a Middle Grade series, then try the A Jack Mason Adventure series. Steampunk plays a huge role in that series!